Programmes under the Department
Medical Laboratory Technology & Diagnostic
Applicant must have Senior High School Certificate (SSSCE) aggregate 24 or West African Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) with aggregate 36 or better which should include credits in three core: English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science and three elective subjects in the following: Chemistry, Biology and Physics.
- Mature applicants must be at least 25years at the time of admission and must possess either five credits as GCE O-Level including English language and Mathematics or WASSCE/SSCE with credits in three core subjects (English, Mathematics and Integrated Science) plus three elective subjects (Chemistry, Biology and Physics).
- Foreign students may be considered for admission if they hold a qualification equivalent to those stated above, proved they are proficient in English, Equivalent qualifications include; A-levels, High School Diplomas.
- Holders of Diploma Certificate in Medical Laboratory Technology should be placed in the 3rd year after a top-up or pre-entry course, to be determined by the college.
The programme will extend over four academic years. It comprises general courses and courses related to the medical laboratory.
First semester 16weeks (14weeks of lecture/practical and 2-week assessment)
Second semester 16weeks (14weeks of lecture/practical and 2-week assessment)
Practical training During the second-semester break of the first, second and third years, all laboratory students will undertake an 8-week supervised laboratory practice which will be assessed and graded as a required component of the programme of study.
Total Credit Hours 139 Credit Hours
The world over, there is an increased demand for evidence-based treatment. In Africa, the demand is even much higher as we are faced with the challenge of outbreaks and new infectious disease emergence. In addition, there is a wide gap between the population and the number of medical laboratory technologist in Ghana. The BSc. Medical Laboratory Technology programme is aimed at training highly qualified medical laboratory technologists to assist in the accurate diagnosis of disease and support in the monitoring of such diseases as well as bridge the huge client/technologists ratio.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The programme aims at:
- Equipping students with the requisite theoretical and practical knowledge in the subject area
- Providing highly qualified human resource in the subject area for health development
- Providing an opportunity for upgrading less qualified practitioners
We aim to deliver the programme with the highest qualified lecturers and practitioners in the programme area employing sound teaching methodologies, the latest technology available in state-of-the-art laboratory demonstration rooms.
The programme is affiliated to the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology’s Department of Medical Laboratory Technology and supported by the University of Utah Medical Laboratory Science programme.
The programme shall require students to be assessed both theoretically and practically. Theoretical assessment will comprise three quizzes and assignments, a mid-semester examination and an end of semester examination. Practical assessment will be carried out both on and off-campus. On-campus practical assessment will consist of ongoing laboratory practical sessions and a practical end of semester examination. Off-campus assessment will comprise vetting of students logbook and awarding marks. Assessments can take the form of multiple-choice questions (MCQs) and essay type.
The minimum mark to obtain a pass in a course shall be 50%. The GPA system shall be graded and defined as follows:
|LETTER GRADE||SCORE RANGE (%)||GRADE POINT||DESCRIPTION|
(ABSENT WITH REASON)
|DISTINCTION||3.60 – 4.00|
|CREDIT||3.00 – 3.59|
|AVERAGE||2.50 – 2.99|
|PASS||1.50 – 2.49|
The pass mark in this programme is 50 per cent.
REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATION
To qualify for the award of Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology, a student must:
- a) Have a total of at least 140 credit hours of course
- b) Pass in all courses taken earning a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better.
- c) A student should have a GPA of 2.0 or better in each course.
BSc Medical Laboratory Technology Programme intends to train professional Medical Laboratory Technologist who will be equipped with the knowledge and skills to work in all health facilities requiring expertise in Medical Laboratory Technology. These include District, Regional, Private, Mission and Teaching hospitals across the country. The school will also work closely with other stakeholders who will require the services of its graduates. The initial 12 months of their professional work after graduation will serve as the internship period where graduates will work at designated District, Regional and Teaching hospitals.
The Medical Laboratory Technologist (Biomedical Scientist) will assist in the diagnoses and monitoring of disease conditions by providing accurate and reliable laboratory results for quality and cost effective health care. He/she will work with others in investigating of diseases in the community.